Kate Evanko, Radley Run Country Club
I recently blogged about Eric MacCluen, the Director of Instruction at Applecross CC, and his Girls Golf Revolution. The March Spotlight shines on one of his most promising pupils. Radley Run CC’s Kate Evanko is coming off a season where she was a finalist in the Women’s Golf Association of Philadelphia Junior Girls Championship as well as a representative of the Women’s Golf Association in the Junior Girls Inter-City Matches.
2. Hometown–West Chester, Pennsylvania
3. What high school do you attend and what year are you–I am a junior (Class of 2016) at Unionville High School in Kennett Square, PA.
4. Home Course–Radley Run Country Club
5. Handicap Index–1.8
6. Golf Instructor–Eric MacCluen
7. Favorite course you have played and why— My favorite course that I have played is the Mid Ocean Club in Bermuda. Every hole had a breathtaking view of either the clear blue ocean waters or the tropical flora. It was difficult yet playable with hard, fast greens and some tricky approach shots. Another course I love is Huntingdon Valley because of its pristine conditions and the strategy needed to score well there.
8. Course you would most like to play that you haven’t yet–Merion East. I was a standard bearer there for the 2013 US Open and just walking it was amazing.
9. Golfing highlight so far–Qualifying for and finishing 11th in the PIAA AAA Championship this past year was the best part of my season since the competition in District 1 is so stiff. My final round at Districts was probably the best I’ve ever played–I finished 3-under on the last 6 holes to shoot 75 and claim the last spot for Regionals.
10.Career low round–In a tournament, 74. I had 17 pars and one double-bogey that day.
11. Holes in One–none, but I’ve had 3 eagles. One of those eagles was nearly a double-eagle–I made the 6 inch eagle putt at Torresdale-Frankford Country Club in 2013 in the WGAP Junior Championship.
12. Amount of time spent practicing during a week in the summer–When I’m not playing in tournaments, I’ll probably practice anywhere from 2-5 hours per day. I try to play at least a round every day in the summer.
13. If not on the course during the summer what could we find you doing–swimming, driving, eating, watching Netflix, and having fun with my friends.
14. If you could play golf with any three people who would they be and why–my three friends :)
15. What type of shot gives you the most trouble on the course–Tee shots on long par 3s are my least favorite shots because there is less control with longer irons and little margin of error on par 3s.
16. Favorite tournament you play in over the summer–the Junior Inter-City Team Matches has been the most fun event I’ve played in the past 2 years. It is a team event that combines stroke play and match play, which is really cool, because I don’t have the chance to play match play very often.
17. Tournament you’d most like to attend and why–I would love to attend The Masters because it is one of golf’s most prestigious tournaments on one of the world’s most elusive courses.
18. Favorite TV show–I can’t pick just one! Parks and Rec, House of Cards, and Modern Family are my top 3.
19. All time favorite movie–Argo
20. Favorite person to follow on Twitter–I love Twitter so I can’t just pick one! These are my 3 favorites: @power__brunette, @weknowwhatsbest, @blake_hinckley (follow me!! @magic_k8_ball)